Monday, April 20, 2009

A push, a shove and a whole load of sugar

Sometimes I really do need a good kick in the pants to get things going. Being given the opportunity to have a show with just under one and a half weeks notice is one such occasion. My last exhibition was produced very slowly and gently, with a few real stakeholders involved so it was fun to do something spontaneous and silly.

This was very silly. There were hundreds and thousands everywhere! On the floor, in my hair, they turned up in my tea cups and will forever be stuck in between the cracks of the floorboards. But it made for a very popular box!

Photobucket


The Wall hosted a Bid-A-Box night for a project I've been working at steadily for just over two years now. Normally I make them and abandon them once a week but these were particularly extravagant.

Photobucket


I'm a new exhibitor, mainly because my work normally appears in print and that I'm apprehensive to call it art. Nevertheless, I've discovered that for all the anxiety of showing - it's actually really fun and addictive! I most enjoy getting very immediate feedback and chatting to people who are into similar things. There was some very interesting talk about the Creative Sydney project that's coming up, something I'd never heard about until that night and am interested to find out much more about.

I've been stoked to find that people really like the matchbox project, regardless of whether they find or get a box, mainly because it's an excitement about gift-giving and an indication that basic giving is increasingly devoid in life. I never set out to prove or offset this when I started the project but realise now that the small amount of joy the project gives people is well worth the effort it takes to make it. I loved making tiny things for the boxes! And am now off to make a tiny patch of wool green grass for another box, to nestle a very precious hand-made toadstool pendant in it courtesy of Michelle Vandermeer.

Thank you to Tony Curran and Dan Chin for their help and cuddles on the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment