Sunday, March 22, 2009

ARTIST PROFILE: James Jirat Patradoon

My pants got a hole in them. I went to DJs to get another pair that didn't have holes. I stumbled upon the handiwork of an old aquaintance's printed onto a Mambo t-shirt.


I first saw Patradoon's work while frantically getting a form signed in the printing building at COFA in my student daze. The image struck me as hip, now, and awesome and when I bought my first copy of "Empty" magazine it had a Patradoon on the cover. It was the Semi-Permanent issue and Patradoon was that gold nugget of graphic design bliss.

If Warhol was Tech-Noir Punk then he would have lived in the shadow of James Jirat Patradoon's pop style. Patradoon's art is the bad boy of artworks, his figures hyper-masculine, donned in lucho-libre masks munching on obscene quantities of nutri-grain or violently battering an opponent of sorts. His would send a shiver down my spine if it weren't for the sugary delight of his colour palettes. His work follows a leading crusader through a journey outside place and time. His images are linked by subject matter but not event, they speak of comic books but they aren't sequential the figures wild and the compositions considered. A show at the Firstdraft here and a few clothing label deals there Patradoon is definately one of the promising talents of today making it!

James currently has his art on display at Oxford Art Factory until the end of April.

No comments:

Post a Comment